Meal Type: Breakfast
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Msemen, flattened square moroccan pancake
- 300 g of fine semolina
500 g of flour
1 teaspoon fine salt
500 ml warm water
300 ml vegetable oil
- 4o g soft unsalted butter
50 g of fine semolina
Start preparing the dough
- Mix the flour, semolina and salt. Ideally, make this mixture in a stand mixer for a smooth paste at speed 1.
Pour the water little by little and when the dough forms a ball, switch to speed 2 for 10 minutes for it to be well kneaded.
If you do it by hand, do not neglect the kneading. Otherwise, your dough will not be elastic enough.
- Prepare your work plan so you can put your dough into 120 gram balls. Take a silicone brush and coat all balls with oil
- Oil your hands well, and flatten each ball until you have the finest possible paste. Take care that the dough does not tear
- Dot the dough with butter and then sprinkle it with a little semolina. Fold the edges towards the middle and sprinkle again with semolina. Do the same thing to get a square
- Repeat the process until all the balls of dough have been folded into squares
- Take a square of dough, flatten it to obtain a thickness of about 5 mm
Heat your pan with a drop of oil
- Place the msemen in the pan and fry, turn the square msemen over several times
- You can cook the msemen for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brow. enjoy!