Chebakia – Moroccan sesame cookie
- 1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of mastic gum (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon orange blossom water
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Honey mixed with a little orange blossom water
- Toasted sesame seeds for decoration
Preparing the Ingredients:
- Toast the sesame seeds on medium heat for around 5 minutes, while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon
- Using a food mixer, grind the toasted sesame seeds until you get a fine powder
- In a small bowl, mix 1/ 2 tablespoon of orange flower water with a pinch of saffron threads. Let it sit for a few minutes before using it
- In another small bowl,mix the dry yeast with ½ teaspoon of sugar and a little bit of warm water. Let it sit for a few minutes before using it
Mix All The dry Ingredients
- In a large bowl, mix two cups of the flour, with ground sesame seeds, ½ teaspoon of ground anise and ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon, a pinch of mastic gum, crush with sugar to get the powder
- Add ½ teaspoon of baking powder mixed with a pinch of salt.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix with your hands to form a dough
- Add one tablespoon of melted butter with1 ½ tablespoon of olive oil, and 1 ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Mix½ teaspoon of white vinegar, the orange blossom water with the saffron, the yeast, and one egg yolk
- Add ½ cup of warm water to the dough, little by little
- Mix all the ingredients with your hand, until you can make a dough ball
- Add the water bit by bit so the dough should not be wet or sticky
- Place the dough on your kitchen work surface, and press it with energetic movements using the palms of your hands.
Knead the dough for about 8 minutes until it becomes soft and elastic.
Shaping the Chebakia
1. Cut the dough into six equal portions.
2. Take each one and roll it into a thin layer using a roulette
3. Use a pastry cutter to cut the dough into rectangles approximately the size of your palm
4 To shape the chabakia, first take columns 1, 3, and 5 using the middle finger of your right hand
5. (depending on the size that wants to give your chebakia), then fold the chebakia to have the shape of a flower
Frying and Soaking the Chebakia In Honey
- Heat the oil in a large, frying pan over medium heat.
- Heat the honey almost to boiling in a large pot.
When the honey is frothy but not bubbling, add the orange flower water to the honey and turn off the heat
- Diving the chebakkia in a bath of hot oil and brown on both sides, dip immediately in honey heated in a bain-marie and flavoured with orange blossom. Then drain them in a colander and decorate with the sesame seeds. enjoy!